Read the May 2023 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
Community March to Honour MMIWG2S+/MMIM2S+ in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
On Friday, May 5th, NCN Chief and Council; government office staff; FCWC and Jordan’s Principle staff; employees from the Women’s Shelter and the Nelson House Medicine Lodge; and Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority senior administration members walked in solidarity to honour MMIWG2S+ and MMIM2S+ relatives, affected family members, and survivors.
The event began with ceremony, prayer, a sacred fire, offerings of tobacco and drum songs to honour missing and murdered relatives in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation. Red ribbons were tied at the sites where we lost relatives to violence.
Why we march
The Annual Day for MMIWG2S+/MMIM2S Awareness is a crucial day to recognize. It is imperative that Indigenous people, organizations, and governments hold society and mainstream governments accountable for the ongoing genocide of our men, women, girls, boys, and two-spirit relatives.
It is important to acknowledge the roles that racism and poverty play in perpetuating the rising number of murders involving Indigenous peoples. Our women, girls, and two spirit/gender diverse individuals are particularly vulnerable.
Most Indigenous women, girls and Two Spirit relatives in NCN live in extreme poverty. Lack of adequate housing, insufficient educational and employment opportunities, poor quality health care and minimal opportunities for economic development aggravate the “fourth world” reality in NCN, which is like most northern First Nations communities.
Limited social supports for poverty and related problems such as widespread addiction, gender-based violence, and food insecurity is a major contributor to escalating levels of violence against our women, girls, and two-spirit/gender diverse individuals.
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN From the Chief – New NCN Community Development Plans Announced at AGA
- KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY – Warning: Bootlegged Alcohol Being Poisoned in NCN
- PUSIKONISOWINI ACHIMOWIN BUSINESS – Skatepark Coming to NCN
- Love and Good Times with Parks and Rec
- NCN and Vale – Building a Stronger Relationship
- Elders Recognized with Portrait Gifts
- Jimmy Hunter Spence Retires
- Chief Levasseur and Councillor Moore’s visit to OK School and NNOC
- Chief Levasseur Honoured at Head Dress and Blanket Ceremony
- NNCEA Highlights from Director of Education for May 2023
- Manitoba Trappers Association Work to Ensure Future For Trapping and Fur Industry
- NCN Hockey Player Haley Braun Helps Secure Provincial Championship
- RCMP Grant for Sports Equipment
- 3rd Annual Flex Day Fun
- Dear Indigenous Teenager: Angelique EagleWoman’s message for Native youth
- Why Can’t People Just Support Each Other?
- The Effects of Lateral Violence, Toxicity and Character Assassination
- Funding Announced for Paving of PA 620
- Leaf Rapids Winter Carnival
- Celebrating 40 Years of NCN Service – Violet Turner
- Your Path to Wellness: Circle of Care and NCN Fitness Centre
- Update on NCN AGAs