Community Facilities, Programs, Services and other Operating Entities
Services and Infrastructure
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation’s home community of Nelson House has a wide range of services and infrastructure to serve its resident population of about 2,500.
NCN has made a number of significant investments to improve and upgrade services over the past few years as part of our vision to provide Members with a higher standard of living, education and healthcare.
- Nelson House, located approximately 80 kilometres west of Thompson, is accessible via well maintained Provincial Trunk Highway 391.
- Nelson House is 10 kilometres south of PTH 391 by an all-weather road.
Bus Lines & Taxi Service
- The Greyhound Terminal in Thompson is the closest connection point for intercity bus service. Twice-daily service is available to and from Thompson to Winnipeg.
- Taxi service is available within the community and to Thompson.
- Regularly scheduled air service is available from Thompson to Winnipeg, Churchill, Lynn Lake, and The Pas with available charter service.
- Dock facilities for float planes are available at Nelson House.
- Dock facilities are available for boats and barges.
- FM 98.1 Community-owned NCN Achimowin Radio Station.
- CBWO-FM 93.7 CBC Radio 1 (from Thompson)
- VF2222-FM 96.9 NCI (Aboriginal/Country) based in Winnipeg with scheduled community broadcasts.
- Canadian commercial satellite services are available in Nelson House.
- Manitoba Telecom Services provides both single-party landline telephone and cellphone services to the community.
- Local community newsletters are published periodically.
- Internet services are available for subscription in the community.
- ATEC provides an Internet Café with free access to high-speed Internet.
- The NCN government maintains its own Website at www.ncncree.com
- Other NCN organizations operating their own websites include:
- Nisichawayasihk Education Authority (NHEA.info)
- Nelson House Medicine Lodge (medicinelodge.ca)
- NCN Trust Office (trustoffice.ca)
- Nelson House Community Wellness Centre (ncnwellness.ca)
- Manitoba Hydro provides land-line service to the community.
- Drinking water is drawn from Footprint Lake, treated and delivered by pipe to about 50 percent of the community (mostly the built-up area) with the remainder of our residents (mainly those who live in outlying areas) serviced by five water trucks.
- The nursing station, O.K. school, teacherages and the Northern Store use water delivery trucks and a piped system to obtain treated water.
- To access near real time water level information at “Footprint Lake at Nelson House”, go to Environment Canada’s website. Click accept and then follow the instructions.
- Like the water system, about half of the community is directly connected to our wastewater treatment system through our sewer infrastructure. The remaining population, mainly those living in outlying areas, use holding tanks which are serviced by four community-owned sewage trucks.
- A landfill site is used for disposal in combination with a community owned garbage compactor truck. The community operates a recycling program.
NCN has emergency fire and medical services in Nelson House, including a Nursing Station. The nearest hospital is located in Thompson.
An RCMP detachment is located in Nelson House and works closely with local police constables in the community.