Want to work with leading technology?
Apply by: June 21, 2023
Vale is seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry. Female, female-identifying applicants and members of indigenous communities will have priority consideration.
The Vale Engineering & Studies Group has North Atlantic accountabilities to deliver engineering design and studies for the various Vale mines and plants in the North Atlantic region including Thompson.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Provie technical direction for complex electrical engineering designs and guide other design personnel.
- Conduct complex engineering studies and field inspections and prepare relevant reports.
- Complete, approve, and review complex engineering estimates, drawings, calculations, functional specifications, data sheets, equipment specifications, scopes of work, front end loading (FEL) studies and detailed design packages.
- Mentoring and training to design and engineering personnel
- Ensure in house Vale engineering design standards are updated and maintained.
- Interact regularly with the plants and mines as a subject matter expert providing technical guidance.
- Assist plant and mine personnel with scope development for projects.
- Provide reviews of consultant’s work performed on assigned Vale engineering projects.
- Act as the Electrical Technical Authority for the Thompson Operations
- Apply mature engineering knowledge and exercises leadership, mentoring and training to other design personnel.
- Assume professional responsibility for engineering work, including the work of others under your technical direction.
- Effectively schedule, prioritize and manage tasks to meet commitments with customers. Function as the team leader/member of single discipline and multi-discipline engineering projects. Coordinate activities and resources within own area of responsibility.
- Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering with a Professional Engineering designation preferred.
- Eligible for registration as a licensed professional engineer with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Robust knowledge of electrical systems including power distribution, motor controls including soft starters & VFDs, transformers, motors, including maintenance and testing
- Experience with industrial control systems and instrumentation will be considered beneficial for this position.
- Experience in planning and estimating engineering hours for projects.
- Proficiency writing equipment specifications and construction scopes of work.
- Understanding and application of risk assessment and process hazards review processes
- Familiarity with the latest codes, acts, regulations and up to date on technology and developments in the electrical field.
- Ability to work independently to achieve outcomes with minimum supervision.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of common software tools such as the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Excel, Word, Power BI), engineering design software (CAD) and electrical engineering software such as SKM PowerTools.
How can Vale grow your career?
- Competitive salary.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Flexible work arrangements.
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader.
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
- Opportunities to advise and oversee the design, budget and construction of new mines and expansions.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
Thompson is known as the “Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.