Department: NCN LANDS, ENVIRONMENT & RESOURCES
Position: RESOURCE MANAGEMENT BOARD X 2 POSITIONS
Deadline: November 30, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: Monthly HONORARIUM
Ref #: NCN 2023-11-15-001
The Nelson House Resource Management Board is responsible to providing for co-management of the Resource Management Area as defined in the 1996 NFA Agreement and to develop resource and land use management and policies for the Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation. You will work in conjunction with NCN Lands, Environment & Resource Executive Director and be accountable to Chief and Council.
- Investigate Resources, their use, and any influences on them;
- Monitor activities within the Resource Management Area;
- Propose subjects for research;
- Prepare information and communication strategies;
- Hold meetings and workshops or otherwise consult publicity or privately with any person;
- Develop and recommend resource management plans in accordance with Articles 6.5.2 and 6.5.3;
- Develop and recommend land use plans in accordance with articles 5.5.4 and 6.5.5;
- Carry out other duties jointly assigned to it by Nelson House and Manitoba;
- Deal with land usage issues originating with Council;
- Manage the referral of Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (NCN) proposals relating to natural resources development and management.
- Keep council informed regarding land use issues requiring Council involvement and;
- Develop bilateral and trilateral co-management of Natural Resource agreements with Federal and Provincial agencies.
- Advocate and promoting policies and activities which protect the environment and promote sustainable use of natural resources;
- Prepare documents, reports, correspondence, briefing notes, policy positions, relevant to natural resources and environmental management in the NCN Resources Management area and;
- Engage in other duties as determined by Chief and Council.
Qualifications & Attributes:
- Member of Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation;
- Over eighteen (18) years of age;
- Must have a few years experience in a management capacity, preferably with Lands, Environment and Natural Resources, fishing, and trapping;
- Understand of NCN history & tradition and political structures;
- Knowledge of natural resources policies and practices as they relate to NCN, specifically:
- Familiarity with the Agreement between Nelson House First Nation, Manitoba, Canada, and Manitoba Hydro to ensure that provisions of the Agreement are followed and that NCN receives all the eligible benefits;
- Knowledge of relevant policies, practices, and funding opportunities in provincial and federal government policies regarding natural resources, in particular, hunting trapping, fishing, forestry and mining.
If you are interested, please forward your cover letter, Criminal Records Check and resume to:
Nora Thomas, Human Resource Administrator
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Fax: (204) 484-2588
Email: [email protected]