Department: NCN GOVERNMENT
Position: ANIMAL CONTROL ASSISTANT
Deadline: Friday, June 2, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: NEGOTIABLE
Ref #: NCN-2022-05-19-001
The Animal Control Officer will be accountable to the Director of Emergency Operations and will work in conjunction with the Director of Justice and Public Safety.
The Animal Control officer will be responsible for responding to calls regarding animals at large, and will track and impound animals as necessary. Other responsibilities will include the issuance of warnings and citations to the owners of animals that cause disturbances, or that are otherwise in violation of NCN by-laws. The Animal Control officer will also provide community education to promote responsible guardianship of animals.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responding to calls regarding, domestic animals at-large or posing a threat to the health, welfare, and safety of the community.
- Issue warnings and citations to owner
- Explain and Enforce the NCN Animal Control bylaw to the violators
- Try to reach an understanding and obtain compliance with the bylaw
- Arrange for action to be taken when orders are not followed (removing animals from homes)
- Listening to complaints from community members
- Document meetings and follow up on the issues
- Patrol public areas, watching for violations.
- Enforce pertinent rabies control ordinances and resolutions.
- Respond to calls of wild animals.
- Investigate reports of animal cruelty, neglect, and abuse.
- Assume emergency call responsibilities.
- Picking up and disposing of domestic and wild animals reported within NCN Limits.
- Transporting animals to shelters, Vets when the need is required.
- Cooperate with other law enforcement agencies.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License;
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision;
- Previous kennel or animal care and control experience will be considered an asset;
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have a genuine interest in and concern for the overall well-being of animals and demonstrate empathy and compassion for animals.
- Ability to recognize signs/symptoms of disease and to handle dangerous and/or injured animals with a minimum of personal risk;
- Physical abilities to perform the assigned duties;
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports as required;
- Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills and must demonstrate an ability and willingness to adhere to the standards of operational procedures, productivity and time management;
- Must be able to work closely with other staff, volunteers and the public in a positive, practical manner;
- Must be willing to attend emergency calls at all hours.
If you are interested, please forward your cover letter, Criminal Records Check and resume to:
Nora Thomas, Human Resource Administrator
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204) 307-1178
Fax: (204) 484-2588
Email: [email protected]