We are seeking Indigenous candidates BOTH MEN & WOMEN interested in training for a career as a Power Line Technician. All training is fully paid.
Closing Date: 2023/06/13
Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers!
– Competitive salary and benefits package.
– Defined-benefit pension plan.
– Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off, providing for a balanced approach to work, family life and community.
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba’s best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
The Pre-Placement Training Program is a six-month fully paid program that provides Indigenous candidates with on-the-job training and academic upgrading to meet the minimum requirements to compete for a position in the Power Line Technician Training Program. During your paid training, you will be stationed at various locations throughout the province. There is no guarantee of ongoing employment at the completion of the Pre-Placement Program.
– High school graduate.
– Possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence (intermediate or full) and be eligible for upgrade.
– Be willing to work in all types of weather.
– Be willing to work at heights, in trenches, excavations, confined spaces.
– Be capable of learning proper climbing techniques.
– Maintain a level of physical fitness and mental alertness appropriate for the duties you are performing.
– Have a good physical coordination; manual dexterity and be able to lift heavy objects from a variety of physical positions while working in a bucket truck or on the pole in climbing gear.
– Have strong mechanical aptitude.
– Have good hearing.
– Be able to work as a member of a team and adapt to changing tasks and locations.
– Have good interpersonal and communication skills.
– Be able to work autonomously and make decisions in stressful situations.
– Have basic computer skills.
All applications must include the following information, attached to your online profile:
– current resume and cover letter
– high school and any post secondary school transcripts or training certificates
– proof of Indigenous ancestry
As part of the selection process, candidates will be required to write standardized aptitude tests that assess how well a candidate’s abilities match the requirements of the job. Candidates will also participate a 1-day pre-employment skills assessment and trade orientation session, which provides candidates with the opportunity to demonstrate the ability to follow instruction, transfer knowledge, and work at heights. It also gives the evaluation group an opportunity to see you perform hands-on power line technician-related tasks. To help you prepare see the Skills Assessment and Trades Orientation Physical Training Guide (PDF) (https://www.hydro.mb.ca/careers/training_programs/plt_physical_training_guide.pdf). Candidates selected for this session will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract.
The email address you submit in your application profile will be used as the main form of correspondence throughout the recruitment process. Please monitor your email inbox on a regular basis.
Location: During your training, you will be stationed at various locations throughout the province.
Starting salary will be $18.79 Hourly.
Visit https://www.hydro.mb.ca/careers to learn more about this position and to apply online.
The deadline for applications is JUNE 13, 2023. We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are advancing in the recruitment process. Only complete applications will be considered.
Manitoba Hydro is committed to increasing the representation of women in the skilled trades. Women are encouraged to apply.
MANITOBA HYDRO IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND EMPLOYMENT EQUITY