Read the April 2017 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
Mental Health Help Receives Big Boost
Mental Health and Suicide Crisis Response Team Set to Take Action
Chiefs, councilors and community leaders from across Manitoba were working side-by-side with Indigenous youth at an engagement workshop held in Winnipeg on March 29-30, 2017 to find ways to resolve mental health concerns. The collaborative sessions brought together the ideas from leadership and youth on the front lines of mental health challenges in their communities. Many health and wellness representatives and key speakers were also there to provide valuable input. The “Healthy Life, Health Mind” event explored ways to bring communities together to share ideas on ways to heal. It was led by a new coordinated effort to reduce the rates of suicide and address concerns that many have regarding mental health crises in First Nations communities.
As mental health in Indigenous communities continue to receive national attention, help is on its way. The MKO Wellness Coordination Initiative is rolling out one crisis team and three wellness teams that will mobilize in Manitoba this year, and three more wellness teams will join them over the next two years. A new 24/7 crisis phone number is already available and more training is on the agenda for mental health workers. Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
NCN Land Code Needs Your “YES” Vote
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Bringing Hope Home to NCN
- Spring Home Preparation Tips
- 2017 Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation Winter Festival Photos
- Dreaming of High-speed Internet?
- NCN March Madness Hoops a Slam Dunk
- Voice of Our Youth: Growing Up – Rosena Lewis
- Voice of Our Youth: A Tribute to Melfina Spence – Randy Spence
- Film Documentary to Highlight Local Singer, Songwriter, Women’s Advocate Natashia Moodie
KAKI PI ISPATHIK AKWA ISI TWAWINAH HISTORY & CULTURE
- Wîsahkêcâhk and the Newcomers – A story told in the oral tradition by the late Louis Bonner Sr.
- Portrait of Our Elders – Minnie Anderson
- Chaga Mushroom No Secret to Traditional Healers