Read the March 2017 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
Volleyball Basketball Tourney a Blast
When I walked in the gym at OK School on the evening of Thursday February 16th, 2017, for the 1st Annual David MacDonald Memorial Volleyball and Basketball Tournament I had to blink twice, rub my eyes, and then do a double take. Students who graduated in the early to mid 90s and many “even more experienced community members” were flying through the air in the gym! They were sliding across the floor and even leaping toward the rafters.
In a seemingly effortless fashion, these former NNOC Warriors (aka Moms and Dads) were bumping, setting, spiking, and six packing our current students. It was certainly a sight to behold! It was wonderful to witness parent, community and school staff teams being actively engaged in our school and mentoring our high school students in life long active and healthy living.
On Friday February 17th, 2017, we hosted a basketball tournament at OK School as well. On this evening, I was equally amazed and entertained. I could see the school staff and Chief and Council teams block, dunk and score on our students. Although the teams were very skilled and competitive, it was all in good fun and there sportsmanship was in abundance. In honour of our late colleague and friend, we named the tournaments as the 1st Annual David MacDonald Memorial Volleyball and Basketball tournaments. David aka Mac loved sports, all sports. He was also passionate about coaching our children here in NCN. David would have truly loved this event, thus it was fitting that we named it in his honour. Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
NCN Hosts Keewaywin: Our Way Home
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Sharing a Vision on Jordan’s Principle at Keewaywin: Our Way Home
- NCN Women Celebrated on International Women’s Day
- NCN Hosts Keewaywin: Our Way Home – Manitoba First Nations Engagement
- Manitoba’s Indigenous Women Voice Concerns at United Nations Conference
- OCN Blizzard Team Saved – Will Skate Another Season
- NNCEA Community Workshops Focused on Better Education
- Spotlight on Joseph and Carter Berard
- NNCEA School System Pushes for Improvements
- Voice of Our Youth: Proud to Take Part – Candishia Spence
- NCN Could Benefit From Newly Created Manitoba First Nation School System