The power will be out in NCN until approximately 10 pm on Sunday night.
We will have a community BBQ tomorrow (Saturday) at 1 pm at the NLMMP. Please bring BBQs, lawn chairs, hand sanitizer etc.
Please look out for one another, especially Elders, children, and vulnerable persons.
*****EMO is working on a plan for those who have medical issues. Families please look after your Elderly parents and grandparents.****
Safety first: Prioritize your safety during this time. Take extra precautions when using alternative light sources, such as candles or flashlights, and avoid potential hazards.
Community support: Let us come together as a community, checking on our neighbours and assisting those who may require additional help during this situation.
Communication: Stay connected with one another and share updates on the status of power outage to keep everyone informed.
During the Power Outage
• Turn off all tools, appliances and electronic equipment, and turn the thermostat(s) for the home heating/air conditioning system down to minimum to prevent damage from a power surge when power is restored. Also, power can be restored more easily when there is not a heavy load on the electrical system.
• Turn off all lights, except one inside and one outside, so that both you and hydro crews outside know that power has been restored.
• Don’t open your freezer or fridge unless it is absolutely necessary. A full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours if the door remains closed.
• Store perishable food items in a cooler with frozen foods to keep them cool.
• Never use barbecues, camping heating equipment, or home generators indoors. They give off carbon monoxide. Because you can’t smell or see it, carbon monoxide can cause health problems and is life-threatening.
• Use proper candle holders. Never leave lit candles unattended and keep out of reach of children. Always extinguish candles before going to bed.
• Protect sensitive electrical appliances such as TVs, laptops and computers with a surge-protecting powerbar.
Chief Angela Levasseur
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation