NISICHAWAYASHIK ADDICTIONS AWARENESS WEEK
“CHANGE BEGINS WITH ME”
SUNDAY November 29 to SATURDAY December 5, 2020
- Recent studies have indicated that persons with addictions are more susceptible to COVID-19 and its complications, including increased hospitalization and death rates;
- Overcoming addictions involves individual responsibility as well as community supports;
- Harm reduction strategies focussed on healing saves lives and provides safe choices for people struggling with substance use;
- The theme for this year’s NISICHAWAYASIK Addictions Awareness Week is “Change Begins with Me” which in our culture requires a focus on the four components of one’s self: Waskawiwin (physical), Mosihowin (emotional), Ahcahkowin (spiritual) and Mamitonicikiwin (mental).
- In previous years, Chief and Council have banned alcohol and cannabis on NCN Lands during Addictions Awareness Week but as numerous restrictions have already been imposed on our Citizens since the State of Emergency was declared in March 2020, alcohol and cannabis will NOT be banned this year during Addictions Awareness Week although recognition of the impacts of addictions remains very important.
THEREFORE, CHIEF AND COUNCIL DECLARE November 29 to December 5, 2020 to be ADDICTIONS AWARENESS WEEK.
During this week, all NCN Citizens and residents on NCN Lands are asked to:
- Consider the impact of addictions on our community especially as we are trying to fight the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Consider ways you can become an Ambassador for Change by encouraging people to take positive action consistent with our culture to be able to live a good life (Mithopematisiwin); and
- Participate in the activities being held locally and nationally to raise awareness of the impact of addictions on people and communities.