Position: Court Clerk I
Department: Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (NISICHAWAYSI COURT)
Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: TO BE DETERMINED
Ref #: 2023-07-26-001
Position Summary/Job Description:
Under the direct supervision of the Court Administrator, the Court Clerk performs a wide variety of Nisichawayasi Court support work requiring knowledge and understanding of court processes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Process citations, complaints and supplemental information on cases filed with the court.
• Type notice of hearings, subpoenas, summons, warrants, commitments, court decrees, judgments, and program reports.
• Maintains the filing system assuring all records are secure and retrievable.
• Enters all cases and documents filed with the court into the case management system.
• Provide information to the public on court processes and procedures. Search and compiles information and data as requested.
• Receives, screens and makes the distribution of incoming mail based on the type of action to be taken. Types correspondence and submits to supervisor for review.
• Tracks fines and fee payments and maintains suspension lists.
• Receives, deposits court fine fees in the Nisi Court bank accounts.
• Prepares photocopies, verifies and certifies the validity of court documents when requested.
• Schedules hearings on the court calendar.
• Responsible for evidence received by the court and properly marks as evidence when presented.
• Acts as the court receptionist or counter clerk regarding public information.
• Attends court session and prepares a written record of all proceedings as minutes on dockets forms.
• Others duties as necessary.
• Must type at least 40 WPM. The court clerk will be required to type accurately at a rate sufficient to produce final documents and enter information into the computer systems.
• Three (3) months of clerical experience
• Ability to read and interpret legal documents and procedure manuals.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
• Ability to speak effectively before groups.
• Ability to work independently.
High school diploma/GED and three (3) months of clerical experience, preferably court or legal experience.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse registry check.
• Must have the ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. With the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to clients and other employees of the organization.
• Knowledge of the Cree language is preferred but not required.
• Must be willing to train.
If you are interested, please forward your cover letter, Criminal Records Check and resume to:
Nora Thomas, Human Resource Administrator
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204)307-1178 Fax: 484-2588
Email: [email protected]