Read the January 2021 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
First Covid-19 Shots Roll Out in NCN
A woman at the NCN Personal Care Home is the first NCN resident to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Christie Moody, said she was surprised when she learned that she would be the first person in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation to get immunized against the virus.
Like many in the care home, the Elder is looking forward to seeing her family members again as soon as that’s allowed.
Pandemic restrictions remain in place despite the vaccination rollout.
The province says it will release a timeline of when others will get vaccinated. Over time, it will ramp up weekly immunizations.
Manitoba has received 7,300 doses of the Moderna vaccine, 2,000 of which are set to go to personal care homes, with the rest headed to First Nations communities.
The first doses of the Moderna vaccine began arriving in First Nations communities in the first week of January, and the first shipments went to communities with personal care homes.
The First Nations Pandemic Coordination Response Team was making plans to get the vaccine to five other communities including Nisichawayasihk, Sagkeeng, Opaskwayak, Sioux Valley and Bunibonibee.
NCN has also begun to take appointments for giving shots of the Covid Vaccination which will be available soon to the public.
The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine first dose series will begin January 11th to February 5th, 2021 – followed by the second dose 4 weeks later (28 days).
Health care professionals say that it is extremely important that individuals complete the full series (both doses).
The first wave of vaccines will be available to those NCN members 70 years and older.
If you are interested in receiving the vaccine and are 70 years or older, please notify Public Health as soon as possible to fill out a consent form and to conduct a health history.
Call Public Health for more information at 204-484-2341.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
Chief Moody discusses rising Covid-19 numbers in Northern Manitoba.
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Fiber Optics Internet Installs Begins In NCN
- Donors Give Gifts to Lift Spirits
- 100 Years Young – Elder Isabelle Moose celebrated her 100th birthday on December 1st, 2020.
- Happy 81st Birthday Clara Yetman
- Tips For Prepping Your Home For Winter
- Staff Get into the Holiday Spirit
- Unsafe Ice Conditions Warning
- Not Letting Covid Get Too Hairy
- Covid Cannot Crush School Spirit in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation – Photo Gallery
- News from NNCEA Director of Education for January/February 2021
- Ride Safely – Snowmobile Tips
- NNCEA’s Protocol for School Board Meetings
- Looking Back at 2020 What a Year! NCN Stories That Made Headlines
- Keep on the Sunny Side
- Supplies Delivered to Houses During Lockdown
- NCN Cheerboard Elves Make Christmas A Joy
- Remembering the Late George Ross
- Know Your NCN – Nelson House Medicine Lodge & Aski’ Otutoskeo Ltd.
- Your Path to Wellness – Dreamcatchers Headstart Program & Immunization and Vaccination Program
- 2021 CAP/CIP Funding Annotation Summary
- Merry and Bright with Parks and Rec
- Granny and Grandpa Cabins in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation