Read the January 2017 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
NCN Women’s Shelter Closer to a Reality
On January 10th, 2017 NCN Chief and Council received confirmation from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) that the application for the new Shelter Enhancement Program On-Reserve had been selected by the joint review committee to proceed. Although pending a few additional requirements by CMHC, this funding puts NCN one big step closer to making the Women’s shelter a reality.
Chief Marcel Moody said, “We recognize the immediate importance of having safe places for women and families in situations of domestic violence, abuse, substance abuse and trauma. Helping them and their loved-ones by providing proper surroundings to heal and be secure is essential. Getting the needed funding is a step to making this happen directly in our community.”
The Chief added that the shelter is an ideal fit with community services like those offered by the NCN Medicine Lodge, Nursing Station and NCN Family and Community Wellness Centre. “The shelter will build-on other community supports offered and enhance care for vulnerable Citizens within the local community. It will help improve the self-sustainability of the Nation and also paves the road for better services for Northern Manitobans.” Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
Big Plans Ahead for 2017
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Fish Derby Raises Funds for Late Teacher’s Memorial Monument
- New CFS Homes in Hart’s Point Being Built to “Bring Kids Home”
- Professional Development Workshop to Improve NCN Workplace Standards
- Margaret Sprowl Receives Annual Award
- NCN LANDS DEPARTMENT – Strengthening our Land Governance Through Community Engagement
- NCN Land Code
- Voice of Our Youth: Alcohol – Lynette Spence
- Voice of Our Youth: How has alcoholism become a normal and accepted part of life in NCN? – Kiya Spence
- Voice of Our Youth: Drug and Alcohol Awareness – Autumn Hunter
- Voice of Our Youth: Gambling Addiction – Roxy Moose
- New Year — New NNCEA Activity
- Honouring Those Passed…Dolly M. Spence
- Portraits of Our NCN Elders – Adele Thomas and Wellington Spence
PUSIKONISOWINI ACHIMOWIN BUSINESS NEWS
- End of Strike at Personal Care Home
- Development Corporation Achieves Significant Economic Growth for NCN