Read the December 2016 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
NCN Votes YES to the Store Land Designation
The unofficial results of the NCN Store Land Designation referendum are in. Chief and Council are happy to share that our Citizens have voted in favour of designating the land for its proposed use.
This YES vote means Chief and Council can move forward with the lease of the land and receive about $860,000 in funding from INAC for the NCN Three Rivers store, which began operations on November 18th. These funds will be used to reduce the debt on the store, and keep food and grocery prices low and affordable for the community.
The electoral officer reports that early vote results showed a landslide of 178 YES votes versus 1 NO vote. Very few people voted in person at the Gilbert McDonald Arena in Nelson House, and instead chose to mail in their ballots. Approximately 5.7% of eligible voters participated in the referendum. Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
We wish you all a very joyous and happy holiday season
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Honouring Those Passed…Elder Illa Wood, David MacDonald, and Sidney Roland Spence
- Protecting Mother Earth is Our Responsibility Under The Great Binding Law
- Counting Down the Top 20 NCN Stories of 2016
- Plans for Multi-Plex Unveiled – Land Tests Started
- CAP/CIP Will Assign Up to $6 Million in Funding for Community Needs
- Stress, Depression and the Holidays – Get Help with Coping
- Spot Drug Overdose. Act Fast to Save a Life
- Storytelling is Food for the Body, Mind and Spirit
- Voice of Our Youth: No Ordinary Christmas Tree – Rikki Tait
- Voice of Our Youth: My Interview with NCN’s Former Chief – Rosena Lewis
- Season’s Greetings from the NNCEA!
- NCN Family and Wellness Centre Celebrates 15 years of Service at AGM
- Manitoba Northern Chiefs Make Environmental Stand with Standing Rock