Read the February 2018 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
Healing Generational Impact of Residential Schools: NCN Welcomes Rising Above
Rising Above has been invited to the community March 1-4, to bring a conference on healing the generational impact of residential schools. The conference brings together survivors, their children and grandchildren to learn through teaching sessions and intergenerational sharing circles of the impacts on the family, culture and personal identity and a healing path for
The conference begins on Friday evening with a concert by the Rising Above Band and Joel Jolly, a talented young Aboriginal musician. A special invitation is extended to survivors of residential schools. On Saturday evening will be a time to commemorate survivors by hearing their stories.
The team from Rising Above is well experienced in this field. Both Howard Jolly (Cree) Selma Poulin (Oji-Cree) are survivors and have been speaking at Rising Above conferences for over 20 years. Howard’s wife Karen (Metis) is presently Rising Above’s Board Chair and has been associated with Rising Above since the beginning. Rick Martin has worked in counselling and teaching among First Nations for 17 years along with his wife Linda (Oji-Cree) who unfortunately was not able to join the team on this occasion. Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
Photography Project Gives Voice to Youth
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Citizen Profile: Nicole Gossfeld Improving Indigenous Lives
- Loving the Fun! Another Great Month with NCN Parks and Rec!
- Storm Makes Impact in Youth Hockey
- Hitting the Ice and the Road in NCN Minor Hockey
- Obituary: Earl Swanson Jr. June 30, 1999 – Jan. 21, 2018
- NNOC High School Term 2 Pushes Students to Excel in Learning
- NNCEA Continues on Path to Improvement in 2018
KAKI PI ISPATHIK AGWA ISI TWAWINAH HISTORY AND CULTURE
- Our Veterans Deserve Eagle Feathers
- Consider the Value of Treaty Education
PUSIKONISOWINI ACHIMOWIN BUSINESS
- Resource Management Board Update – NCN RMA Land Use Plan
- Helping Overcome and Understand Addiction