Read the August 2016 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
NCN Local Runners Take Part in Annual 940 km Relay Unity Run
Eleven Nisichawayasihk youth runners and a group led by chaperones and elders achieved an amazing goal of running a relay-style 940 kilometre trek from Pimiciamak Cree Nation (Cross Lake) to Opaskwayak Cree Nation (near the Pas) then to Fisher River Cree Nation.
Held from August 1–4, 2016, the run was part of an annual gathering called The Unity Run. The event affirms what First Nations people have known and practiced for centuries; that unity within our families, communities and nations is our greatest strength.
The run itself lasts three full days, travelling hundreds of kilometres each day, but the fun for the NCN team dressed in yellow started at camp with an opening ceremony breakfast and prayer prior to the start.
During the ceremonies the Unity Run promotes aspects of the medicine wheel, through age-old and timeless Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, and Physical teachings. Sacred pipes were present and travelled with the Elders, youth and chaperones on the Unity Run. Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
Monthly Update on Progress
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Improving First Nation Health Benefits: Your Opinion Matters!
- Young NCN Woman Kendra Nancy Joy Brightnose Battles Disease to Reach Goals
- Tradition of Sharing at Cree Nation Gathering In Fisher River
- Manitoba Fishers to be Allowed to Market Their Own Product
- Medicine Lodge Assigns New Interim Executive Director
- 20 Things You Should Know About The Indian Act
- Portraits of Our NCN Elders: Jimmy Hunter Spence
- NCN Council Member Willie Moore Elected to Manitoba TLEC
- Back to School Will Have to Wait! Shared Schedule Planned for High school and Elementary classes at OK
PUSIKONISOWINI ACHIMOWIN BUSINESS NEWS
- 2017 NCN Trust Monies Available to Applicants – Apply Before Sept. 15!
OKIMY’WINI ACHIMOWIN GOVERNMENT NEWS
- Important CRD Licensing Consultation Gathering NCN Input