With the alarming increase in the consumption of Lysol within our community, an extremely dangerous practice that poses significant health risks to individuals involved. In response to this concerning trend, the FNSOs (First Nations Safety Officers) are implementing immediate measures to safeguard the health and well-being of our community.
Effective immediately, there will be a limit on the number of Lysol canisters permitted to be brought into the community, 2 per household. This decision has been made with our communities’ safety as our number one priority.
Lysol is a cleaning product designed to eliminate 99.99% of germs and bacteria. Ingesting it can lead to poisoning, with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and difficulty breathing. The corrosive chemicals in Lysol can cause chemical burns to the mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach lining, resulting in damage to internal organs such as the liver and kidneys. Additionally, inhaling Lysol fumes or ingesting it can cause respiratory distress, including coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.
We urge all community members to refrain from consuming Lysol and to report any instances of consumption immediately. If you or someone you know has ingested or is ingesting Lysol, please urge them or yourself to seek help by contacting The Family and Community Wellness Centre at 204-484-2341 during regular business hours (8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday). For emergencies after hours and on weekends, please contact their emergency on-call service at 431-354-1270.
Your health and safety are important to our community, and we are here to support you in any way we can. Let’s all work together to ensure the well-being of our NCN community.