Join Vale today. Continuously learn throughout your career.
Apply by: June 16, 2023
Vale is seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry. Female, female-identifying applicants and members of indigenous communities will have priority consideration.
The Maintenance Apprentice – Heavy Duty Equipment is integral for employee safety and Vale’s long term operating strategy. Members of this team will work at the Thompson Operations to ensure the process equipment and infrastructure is effectively contributing to the production profile. Team members are also involved in the development of long-term and short-term maintenance initiatives, practices and procedures.
We are currently seeking a Maintenance Apprentice – Heavy Duty Equipment to join our Maintenance Department in Thompson, Manitoba. This is a permanent position.
As a Maintenance Apprentice – Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic, you will be responsible for performing preventive maintenance inspections and repairs on a diverse fleet of underground mobile equipment as well as assisting other maintenance employees as required.
In this position, you will
- Perform preventive checks according to preventive maintenance plans on equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions.
- Complete breakdown, corrective, and minor reports.
- Test and adjust repaired systems for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturer’s specifications and the functional needs of the operation.
- Adjust, repair, or replace defective parts and components of the equipment.
- Clean, lubricate, and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment.
- Conduct final inspections to ensure that work detailed on work order has been completed to meet safety standards.
- Provide feedback improvement suggestions to the supervisor and planner and implement those that are within your ability.
- Improve equipment availability and efficiency through quality maintenance and failure analysis.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Qualify or be registered as an apprentice in the province of Manitoba.
- Minimum of 6 months of heavy equipment repair experience in work and school
- Experience working in a mobile equipment maintenance department would be an asset
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Demonstrated concern for Safety, Health and Environment.
- Demonstrate initiative, follow instructions and the ability to communicate well with others.
How can Vale grow your career?
The Maintenance Apprentice – Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic is a maintenance position that will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, health, dental and disability plans)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Online training and career development opportunities
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader
- On site Gym Facilities
- Participation in our Employee Family Assistance Program
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
Thompson is known as the “Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.