Want to work with leading technology?
Apply by: June 24, 2023
Vale is seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry. Female, female-identifying applicants and members of indigenous communities will have priority consideration.
The Thompson Mines Technical Services (MTS) Team is integral to the success of the operations in being a safe and reliable producer. We aim to design and plan safe, sustainable ore extraction through technical excellence in the areas of geology, mine planning, ventilation, backfill, ground control, drill/blast, and survey control.
We are currently seeking a Ground Control Technician to join our Mines Technical Services Team in Thompson, Manitoba. This is a permanent position.
The successful candidate will work to support the Lead Engineer, Ground Control and provide support for the mining and technical personnel at the Thompson Manitoba underground and open pit mines.
The successful candidate must be able to build and maintain relationships and interact with other technical staff, supervision, and hourly employees. This role is primarily an individual contributor role that provides coordination of Engineering services specific to Ground Control to the Mining Operations/Engineering Department. The Ground Control Technician works collaboratively with their peers in the Engineering Department and cross functionally with all other areas of the operations to complete tasks in their area of accountability in the mine.
The position will involve regular trips underground and on surface in the field to visit existing mining areas and audit practices related to ground control and provide direction for remedial action as required.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Make infield decisions regarding ground support condition and effectiveness and provide direction to operations for any remedial actions required.
- Interact with Superintendents and the Lead Engineer, Ground Control to advise on work that lies outside of the current mine plan or is significant in that it requires a design change.
- Make routine underground inspections to audit the quality of ground support installation, and general ground conditions. Underground observations should be appropriately documented, and any recommendations made should be communicated to Operations and Mines Technical Services as required.
- Evaluate the quality and suitability of new support systems and installation procedures.
- Provide technical guidance to Operators with regards to new or special ground support procedures.
- Assist and aid the Lead Engineer, Ground Control in the selection, planning, testing, and installation of instrumentation and/or new ground support products.
- Assist the Lead Engineer, Ground Control with Management of Change processes.
- Maintain up-to-date records of underground observations, ground support recommendations, instrumentation, and QA/QC and testing results.
- Ensure that the necessary ground control related documentation and reporting procedures are followed.
- Review mine layouts, working development layouts and geological drawings to ensure integrity of ground support design and excavation stability. Utilize CAD tools to input the appropriate designs and information directly into drawings.
- Comply with federal and provincial acts and regulations, and legal requirements.
- Adhere to all relevant corporate policies and procedures.
- Continually develop the ability, knowledge, and skills necessary to keep up with the changing methods and technology in the job.
- Participate in appropriate ground control training.
- Make short training presentations to the Crews as required.
- Perform other duties as required in a cross functional team (probing, survey, vent readings).
- Assist the Ground Control Specialists and Engineers with daily tasks in the Ground Control Department.
- A minimum of a grade 12 (or equivalent) education with previous industrial experience in a related field or a post-secondary Diploma/Certificate from a certified program in a related field.
- Engineer in Training or New graduates are encouraged to apply.
- A Minimum of 2 years of experience in a related field is preferred.
- Expert MS Office skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent safety record is essential.
- Ability to work effectively with the ability to work in a team-driven environment.
- Able to work effectively without extensive supervision.
- Demonstrates creative problem solving skills.
- Able to work on mining proposals with respect to ground control.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain information in an organized and concise way.
- Ability to prepare and present material dealing with ground control.
- Experience with CAD Systems and software related to mine design and planning preferred (example: Deswik)
- Valid Driver’s license required.
How can Vale grow your career?
The Ground Control Technician is a critical technical position that will allow the right candidate to provide direct input into the safe operation of Vale underground mines. The candidate will be a part of a larger group of geotechnical engineers across the North Atlantic Operations; a group with considerable expertise and experience in the challenging field of ground control in deep hard rock underground mines. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Flexible work arrangements.
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader.
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
- Opportunities to advise and oversee the design, budget and construction of new mines and expansions.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
Thompson is known as the “Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.