Employer: NCN Administration
Position: Youth Coordinator
Deadline: Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Wage Range: TBA
Ref #: NCN 2023-01-10-001
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Operations, the Youth Coordinator is responsible for the effective and efficient development, delivery, and administration of the Youth Program. The Youth Coordinator will provide programs that emphasize fitness, education, and cultural growth that supports and initiatives that are rooted in a strengths-based approach. This approach focuses on developing resources that are known protective factors, such as understanding and integrating cultural identity, increasing youth engagement, fostering youth empowerment; and establishing and maintaining strong relationships.
The Youth Coordinator shall have responsibility for the following:
- Promoting a strong cultural identity as a powerful protective factor for youth. Cultural engagement is an important protective factor against a range of negative outcomes.
- Promoting Personal Empowerment for Youth to have the necessary skills and opportunities to meet personal goals, needs, and aspirations.
- Promoting Social Empowerment for Youth to actively participate and take responsibility in positive changes to community, school, or larger social arenas
- Bringing together community resources to design and deliver empowerment programs that support Youth to become agents of social change.
- Develop academic enrichment and healthy living activities for teen drop-in center.
- Managing volunteers outreaching into the community.
- Ensure confidentiality and youth to seek counsel when necessary.
- Strong knowledge and awareness of Indigenous culture and history, with particular emphasis on NCN history, community violence prevention, trauma-informed support, harm-reduction approaches, as well as youth empowerment;
- Knowledge and experience working with children, youth and families in a leadership development as well as a healing and reconciliation capacity.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work with minimal supervision in a team-oriented setting.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to engage people to build trust and rapport; effective verbal and listening communication skills; excellent interviewing and counselling skills.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Word including database applications
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and/or weekends.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and the use of a vehicle.
- A clear criminal reference check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Vulnerable Sector Clearance will be a condition of employment.
- Training will be available.
If you are interested, please forward your cover letter, Criminal Records Check and resume to:
Nora Thomas, Human Resource Administrator
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204) 307-1178
Fax: (204) 484-2588