Wildlife Safety Warning – Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation:
Wild animals such as bears and wolves have been spotted in the Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation region. For the safety of all Citizens, children, property and pets we ask that all residents take special precautions. During the summer and fall months wildlife is more active. Often overprotective animals with young, or those in search of food can be a deadly hazard when encountered.
Stay safe and be sure to:
• Safely store food. Do not leave food out in the open and store safely inside your home.
• Make trash cans inaccessible. Bring them inside at night or buy a bear-resistant trash can or an enclosure for the container.
• Enclose your compost pile. Open compost piles, especially those that include kitchen scraps, are an irresistible treat in bear country. Burying compost won’t work because bears will easily find and dig it up.
• Recycle wisely. If you store recyclables outside, use enclosed bins. (Persistent bears will break into even ruggedly built bins.)
• Keep your barbecue grill clean and as free of drippings as possible. Move the grill away from your house when you aren’t using it, and clean it regularly with ammonia or bleach.
• Rethink your bird feeders. In the summer, birds can make do with naturally available foods. If you do set up feeders, install them away from your house.
Wildlife will always remember where food is easily accessible.
NCN citizens are asked to phone the following numbers to report issues with bears, wolves or other wildlife to:
204-484-4220 or 204-677-6653