Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority Inc. is seeking one (1) Full Time Bus Mechanic for our Transportation system. The primary role of this position is to ensure the safety and repairs of our bus fleet and to ensure all buses are operational on a daily basis. This position reports to and works in collaboration with the Transportation Supervisor. The Transportation Mechanic is responsible for diagnosing and repairing diesel and gasoline buses and all applicable mechanical and electrical components of the buses. The Transportation Mechanic may also be required to do bus trips as needed to fulfill each route during the school day.
- Must have a “Red Seal” Inter-Provincial Heavy-duty equipment mechanic certificate
- School Bus Safety Certification Required
- Current and valid Manitoba Class Two (2) License with air ticket
- Valid school bus driving certificate
- Minimum 5 years of licensed driving experience
- Current driver’s abstract demonstrating two years clear driving record
- Minimum 5 years of Heavy Duty or Truck and Transport Mechanic work experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of regulations contained in The Highway Traffic Act, The Public Schools Act and the School Buses Regulation relative to the operation and maintenance of school buses.
- Thorough knowledge of regulations, policies and practices as required by Manitoba Education and the School Board relative to the operation and maintenance of school buses.
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Mechanical ability and understanding of computer diagnostics related to bus maintenance.
- Ability to diagnose, repair, and/or overhaul a bus to ensure proper maintenance
- Ability to work in an environment with diesel exhaust, dust, and noise
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions and procedures
- Knowledge of electronic troubleshooting
- Knowledge of diesel and gasoline engines as well transmission and hydraulic systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts safeties of all buses in fleet be-annually (2 times) of the year
- Ensures operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by completing preventative maintenance on all mechanical and electrical systems
- Assess/diagnose diesel and gasoline buses for repairs and maintenance
- Conducts routine maintenance on buses such as oil changes, brake changes, tire rotations and other.
- Works in collaboration with the Transportation Supervisor to assess the needs of each bus
- Orders any required parts and equipment needed to repair each bus
- Maintains a log of all work completed, safeties, inventory of parts and oil, and any deficiencies to each bus
- Conserves maintenance resources and consumable materials by using supplies as needed and in an effective manner
- Ensures a clean and safe working environment for all employees and property of NNCEA
- Utilize a variety of different tools and equipment
- Test drives vehicles and does a thorough inspection and check to ensure safety and readiness
- Completes any needed recalls as required by the manufacturer of the bus
- Consults with bus manufacturer for any safety requirements or questions about buses
- Ensures cleanliness of all buses in fleet in collaboration with colleagues
- Assists with bus trips during school day if required
Rate of Pay:
- This position is full time and will be a salaried position including benefits and pension plan through NNCEA.
- The annual salary for this position is $87,360 payable over 26 pay periods.
- Full time employees will be entitled to scheduled holidays within the academic year and 10 days of annual holidays after 1 year of employment.
- NNCEA staff must submit a valid Criminal Record Check and also a Child Abuse Registry Check
- Physically able to crawl under busses and access engine components
- Some heavy lifting (tools, parts, jacks, etc)
- Good visual acuity
Start Date: Wednesday August 11, 2021
Hours of Work: 7:45am-4:30pm
Qualified and interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and references by June 25, 2021 at 4:00pm to Nic Campbell (email@example.com) – Assistant Director of Education at Alice Moore Education Centre.
*Please clearly indicate which position you’re applying for.