Apply by: February 3rd, 2023
The Thompson Concentrator Technical Services Team is integral to the success of the operations in being a safe and reliable producer. We aim to plan the production, monitor, improve and report the performance of the Thompson Concentrator operation through technical excellence in the areas of metallurgy, ore handling, crushing, grinding, flotation, dewatering and concentrate handling.
We are currently seeking a Sr. Control Systems Technologist to join our Vale Thompson, Manitoba Concentrator Team.
As the Sr. Control Systems Technologist, you will ensure the site receives the necessary technical support for all programming, maintenance and back up of all control systems for fixed equipment. You will produce and update electrical and instrumentation drawings. Actively participant in internal projects.
In this position, you will:
- Demonstrate obsession with safety and risk management and meet the requirements of all applicable safety plans
- Develop safe operating procedures and maintenance plan, processes, standards and equipment specifications within your area of responsibility
- Ensure compliance with codes, standards and workplace health and safety regulations
- Perform control loop tuning, provide support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
- Perform system maintenance and backups
- Lead and participate in the design of automation projects including I/O assignment, component selection, programing and electrical and instrumentation drawing generation and updates
- Validate third party interfaces and relevant programming to facilitate implementation of the same
- Support the safe operations program and participate as required
- Interprovincial journeyman certification as a Industrial Electrician or Instrumentation and Control Technician
- The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 4 years of experience
- Proficient computer skills including networking, system integration techniques and AutoCad
- Extensive experience programming, implementing and maintaining DCS and PLC control systems
- Extensive working knowledge of control loops, instrumentation, and electrical controls, including loop tuning techniques
- Proficiency in the PI system, including trending, graphics configuration and tag entry
- Ability to work both independently and as part of our Team
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
How can Vale grow your career?
The Sr. Control Systems Technologist is a critical technical position that will allow the right candidate to provide direct input into the safe operation of the Thompson Concentrator. You will be a part of a larger group of technical professionals across the North Atlantic Operations.
Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Online training and career development opportunities
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader
- On site Gym Facilities
- Participation in our Employee Family Assistance Program
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves.
Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba, dating back to 1956 when we discovered the Thompson Nickel belt. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines, is located in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
Thompson is known as the “Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.