To All Community Members
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is in short supply because of the global outbreak of COVID-19 also known as Coronavirus.
Personal Protective Equipment includes things like medical masks, gloves, gowns and face shields. PPE is needed by the Nurses including Home and Community Care Nurses providing direct patient care in your community to prevent the spread of COVID-19 between community members.
We are asking all community members to do their part to minimize their use of PPE, so that the Nurses will have it to protect your community and themselves.
If a community member has COVID-19, and is not able to care for themselves at home, then the caregiver will be provided PPE to keep them safe. Symptom free members of the public do not need to use PPE.
The following are strong recommendations from Manitoba Health and the Public Health Agency of Canada to reduce your personal risk of getting sick from COVID-19:
- Wash your hands a lot with Soap and Water. Be sure to wash all parts of your hands, and wash for at least 20 seconds;
- Cough into your elbow to stop the virus from landing on surfaces others could touch. This reduces the spread;
- Frequently clean common surfaces in your home like door knobs, counters, refrigerator handles, remote controls and bathrooms;
- Make every effort not to touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth, and if you must, wash you hands first;
- Keep 6 feet away from people at all times when out at the store, or in public;
- Try to stay home as much as possible;
- Stay away from sick people, and if you are sick with a cough or fever stay home and try not to be around others;
- Do not gather in large groups;
- AND, if you need medical help, call the Nursing Station first before showing up; the nurses will give you instructions.
If we all work together, we can make sure that there are enough supplies available to lower the spread of COVID-19 in your community, and keep everybody safe.
COVID-19 related phone numbers are (204) 679-0179 and (204) 679-0279