Deadline: Monday, April 3, 2023
Department: Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (NELSON HOUSE MEDICINE LODGE)
Position: ONE (1) FEMALE Traditional Land Based Healer
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: $41,600.00 – $54,742.76
Ref #: NCN-2023-03-20-001
Coordinate and deliver all aspects of the traditional and cultural activities offered in the Nelson House Medicine Lodge programs. They will work directly with clients in the residential and outpatient treatment programs. They will work collaboratively with staff and community partners so they may help their clients begin to understand how the cultural teachings and ceremonies serve as a foundation for their personal healing and recovery.
People selected for this position must be an abstainer of alcohol, cannabis & illegal drugs for at least 5 years. An understanding of Aboriginal culture & the ability to speak Cree is an asset.
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Work as an integral part of the treatment and prevention teams; assisting the Counsellors in the development of holistic assessments and healing plans that encompasses traditional values, beliefs and practices
- Facilitate cultural workshops and ceremonies
- Harvest medicines needed for clients’ wellness and recovery, and for those who may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms
- Work on evenings and weekends on a rotation basis with other members of the treatment team.
- Liaison with community partners in health and wellness initiatives
- Other duties assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Abilities And Skills:
- This position requires an individual with extensive knowledge and experience of the traditional Indigenous way of life and spiritual practices. This person must be fluent in an Indigenous language, preferably Cree; and ability to read and write in English, and have respect for others’ teachings. They must be willing to expand and improve present knowledge and experience as it relates to traditional teachings and/or ceremonies that may benefit clients in their healing from the harms of addiction and mental health. Must demonstrate ability to maintain confidentiality. Must possess a valid minimum Class 5 driver’s license.
Education And Experience:
This position is unique in that it requires a person who is knowledgeable in the Indigenous and Western worldviews. They must demonstrate a good working knowledge of traditional healing practices, natural plant medicines, teachings and be able to conduct healing ceremonies that will aid our clientele in their recovery from trauma, addictions and withdrawal from substances. Successful candidate must have a minimum of 5 years of experience working directly with clients and their families afflicted with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
If you are interested, please forward your resume, cover letter and Criminal Records Check to:
Nora Thomas, Human Resource Administrator
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204) 307-1178