CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
New Board of Directors of the
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation Development Corporation
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation is seeking five (5) Directors to form the Board of Directors for the newly restructured NCN Development Corporation. NCN will consider application to fill the following positions:
- Three (3) positions for registered NCN citizens with economic development experience; and
- Two (2) positions open to business professionals
This call for applications is open to all and selections will be made based on professional experience, skillset, and expertise. Prior to applying, please review this information below to gain an understanding of the requirements of the Directors.
The primary purpose of the NCN Development Corporation is to create economic benefits from business interests, create employment for NCN citizens and generate income to support NCN’s socio-economic priorities. With the restructuring of the Development Corporation, in alignment with our self-determination approaches and asserting sovereignty, the NCN Chief and Council is seeking to separate its business interests from direct governance by elected officials. The primary purpose of the NCN Development Corporation is to invest funds, received from the NCN, for the collective benefit of NCN citizens in accordance with guiding documents.
To provide oversight of management and the operations of the Development Corporation, providing support and supervision to the Executive Director.
- Regular Board meetings once a month. Quarterly Board meetings in June, September, December, and February.
- Quarterly business meetings with the NCN Chief and Council
- Special meetings as required.
- Ensure that all businesses operate within the guidelines set out by the Treasury Board and Chief and Council.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the management of the Development Corporation’s investments;
- Report and be accountable on the Development Corporation’s investment and business plans and results of operations;
- Approve the annual business plan and budgets for the Development Corporation and the businesses managed by it; and
- Implement and uphold all policies and guidelines endorsed by the Treasury Board and Chief and Council.
- Directors shall be entitled to be paid a per diem fee as compensation for their service. Each Director shall be entitled to reimbursement for reasonable direct out-of-pocket expenses relating to travel and accommodation incurred for NCN Development Corporation business.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 18 years of age or older;
- Must not be in a perceived conflict or conflict of interest;
- Not an elected official of NCN Chief and Council;
- Socially responsible and knowledgeable of NCN culture, language, and customs as well as socio-economic needs and priorities;
- High ethical standards, integrity and reliability in professional and personal dealings;
- Appreciation of the principles of transparency and accountability to NCN citizens;
- Ability to strategically plan for and prioritize the needs of the present and future generations of NCN;
- Knowledge, understanding, and demonstrated experience of the roles and responsibilities of a member of a governing board;
- Personal and professional skills match what the NCN Development Corporation needs to advance in the northern and global economy;
- Never declared bankruptcy or insolvency; and
- Willing to provide a Criminal Records Check.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Ability to coach strong business leaders
- Past volunteer or community involvement or similar experience.
- Ability and willingness to address potentially controversial issues in a manner that encourages and maintains dialogue.
- Flexibility, responsiveness and willingness to consider others’ opinions.
- Capable of wide perspective on issues.
- Ability to listen, communicate and work as a team member.
- Preferable experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Business development/entrepreneurship;
- Public policy;
- Marketing; or
The firm deadline for interested applicants to submit an application, resume, 3 references, and cover letter stating their qualifications is March 13, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. Application packages received after the deadline will not be considered.
The Chief and Council will screen all applications and select individuals for an interview that meet the minimum qualifications set out above. This process may involve conducing reference and background checks.
*Important: NCN appreciates all submissions but NCN reserves the right to decline any or all applications and all unsuccessful applications become ownership of NCN and will be destroyed.
If you are interested, please forward your cover letter, Criminal Records Check and resume to:
Kim Linklater, Executive Director of Human Resources
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204) 307-2107
Fax: (204) 484-2588