Employer: NCN – Nisichawaysihk Nehetho Culture & Education Authority (NNCEA)
Position: BOARD of TRUSTEES
Deadline: Monday, June 4, 2023
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: MONTHLY HONORARIA
Ref #: NCN 2023-05-08-002
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (NCN) Board of Trustee Posting
Appointment Criteria for the Nisichawayasik Nehetho Culture and Education Authority (NNCEA) Board of Trustees
Overall Expectations of the NNCEA School Board (as taken from bylaw)
The main purpose of the NNCEA School Board is Kiskinowahamatowin and its objectives are to:
- Promote the retention, use and understanding of the Asiniskaw Nehetho language and culture by NCN and others;
- Deliver education and training programs
- Empower NCN Citizens through life-long learning
The Board is responsible for supervising the management of the business and affairs of the Authority. In general terms, the Board is responsible for: providing a safe, educational environment for all students each year; overseeing NNCEA policies and policy development; approving the annual NNCEA budget; approving the annual school year calendar; hiring/evaluating the Director of Education; and accountability to the leadership of NCN and community.
Board member duties;
- The Board clarifies and upholds NNCEA and NCN Education purpose.
- The Board connects with the community to understand education related needs.
- The Board recruits and employs a Director of Education to administer the NNCEA and oversee its schools.
- The Board delegates its authority to the Director of Education as needed.
- The Board monitors the performance of the Director of Education on a yearly basis and the Education system in NCN.
- The Board takes responsibility for itself and reports to Chief and Council or Council’s designate.
Board member responsibilities;
NNCEA Board members are responsible to adopt and enforce all necessary rules for the operational management and governance of the schools in NCN. The Board may delegate duties and responsibilities to the Director of Education through its Board policies.
The Board has decision making authority to recruit and employ a Director of Education who will be in charge of the administration of the school system and ensuring that the Director of Education understandings and implements all of the boards policies.
Criteria for NNCEA School Board Trustee selection:
- Must be a citizen of the Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation.
- Must be a voting member of the community (over 18 years old).
- Must have demonstrable experience in education related matters.
- Must be willing to attend various functions of the Board and attend regular and special meetings of the School Board as needed.
- Must NOT be a current student/employee/contractor of the NNCEA or elected to NCN Chief and Council.
- Must uphold professionalism and be a non-biased decision-maker.
- Must be a role model and a law-abiding citizen with clear child abuse registry and criminal record/vulnerable sector checks.
If you are interested, please forward your letter of interest, Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Check and two reference letters to:
Nora Thomas, Human Resource Administrator
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204) 307-1178
Fax: (204) 484-2588