Work Opportunity/Role Title: Media Digitizing Technician
Organization: Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority Inc. (NNCEA)
Department: Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU)
Reporting to: Wm. Elvis Thomas, Director of Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU)
The Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority Inc. (NNCEA) believes that education must provide for the academic, social, emotional, spiritual, physical development and well-being of all students under its responsibility. One of our main objectives is to establish a strong path for our children by increasing and strengthening our language and culture programming. We strive to guide our students on their miskanaw (life journey) by nurturing their identity as an asiniska ithiniwak (Rocky Cree) from nisicawayasi and their ability to speak the nihitho language.
We are dedicated to supporting our students and their families in language revitalization and cultural reclamation. To fulfill this objective, our efforts in recent years have focused on creating nihitho educational resources, implementing a nihitho immersion curriculum and incorporating Indigenous perspectives in all subject areas.
We are looking for someone who enjoys and knows how to digitize VHS tapes, cassettes, DVDs, and photographs and organize/store digital video, audio, and image files that will preserve the living history of our community.
Type of Engagement:
Four (4) month Term Contract beginning at the start date stipulated in the contract.
- 16,000, paid on a bi-monthly basis (two times per month)
- Receive and Log participants’ (customers’) contact information and the materials they bring for digitization.
- Promote this digitization program and seek out participants and/or organizations that may have materials that could be processed.
- Digitize -Photographs (to JPEG or similar file format) through either scanner or photographic methods
- Digitize -VHS Video Tape (to MP4 or similar file format) using the in-house converter
- Digitize -DVD Disks (to MP4 or similar file format Files) using the in-house converter
- Digitize -Audio Cassettes (to MP3 or similar file format Files) using the in-house converter
- Store and save digitized material.
- Maintain database of participants and their processed media list.
- Copy digitized material to flash drive to be provided to the contributor along with the original analogue media (VHS, Cassette, DVD, Photograph, etc.); and
- Other duties as assigned from time-to-time.
Necessary Technical Skills:
- Some familiarity with, DSLR camera image, video, and audio transfer, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Bridge;
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office, Internet and ability and willingness to learn new software.
- Organizational skill with the ability to work with video and photo files.
Additional Skills / Qualities
- Ability to work well under pressure and consistently meet deadlines;
- Help with the maintenance and organization of all production equipment, computers, and shared storage environment;
- Be a creative problem solver;
- Detail-oriented and dedicated to producing high quality end product; and
- Self-motivated and willing to go the extra mile.
Application Deadline: 3:00 pm, Friday May 27, 2022
Applicants must submit their portfolio or resume with a cover letter either in person on via email to:
Wm. Elvis Thomas
Director of Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU), Alice Moore Education Centre (AMEC)
Successful applicants must provide satisfactory Criminal/Vulnerable Sector check & Child Abuse Registry Check.