Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers!
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba’s best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
We are seeking candidates interested in training for a career as a Power Line Technician.
The Power Line Technician Training Program is a four-year apprenticeship program that includes on the job training and ten weeks of competency-based trade schools that will lead to Journey person Technician status. During your training, you will be stationed at various locations throughout the province.
Safety is our top priority and we will follow Manitoba Health’s pandemic-related safety and health protocols throughout the recruitment process for this program. This will result in a longer than normal recruitment process. At this time, we expect successful candidates will start in mid or late summer. Anticipated start dates, and timelines for recruitment activities, may be adjusted as required given pandemic-related restrictions.
- High school graduate with a minimum of the following subjects: Mathematics 40S (Applied or Pre-Calculus); Physics 40S; and English 40.
- possess a valid Province of Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence; (intermediate or full)Meet the challenges of physically demanding work in all types of weather.
- Be willing to work in all types of weather.
- Be willing to work at heights, in trenches, excavations and confined spaces.
- Be capable of learning proper climbing techniques.
- Maintain a level of physical fitness and mental alertness appropriate for the duties you are performing.
- Have a good physical coordination; manual dexterity and be able to lift heavy objects from a variety of physical positions while working in a bucket truck or on the pole in climbing gear.
- Have a mechanical aptitude.
- Have good hearing.
- Be able to work as a member of a team and adapt to changing tasks and locations.
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be able to work autonomously and make decisions in stressful situations.
- Have basic computer skills.
All applications must include the following information, attached to your online profile:
- A personal resume and cover letter;
- High school and any post-secondary school transcripts or training certificates.
MANITOBA HYDRO IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND EMPLOYMENT EQUITY
The email address you submit in your application profile will be used as the main form of correspondence throughout the recruitment process. Please monitor your email inbox on a regular basis.
As part of the selection process, candidates will be required to write standardized aptitude tests that assess how well a candidate’s abilities match the requirements of the job. Candidates will also participate a 2-day pre-employment skills assessment and trade orientation session, which provides candidates with the opportunity to demonstrate the ability to follow instruction, transfer
knowledge, and work at heights. It also gives the evaluation group an opportunity to see you perform hands-on power line trades-related tasks. Candidates selected for this session will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract.
Selected candidates must provide a current driver’s abstract at that time.
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Defined-benefit pension plan
- Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off, providing for a balanced approach to work, family life and community
Note: You must create an online profile before you can apply for any job postings.
You can follow the instructions in the guide below to create your online profile.
Visit www.hydro.mb.ca/careers to learn more about this position and to apply online. The deadline for applications is March 9, 2021.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Manitoba Hydro is committed to increasing the representation of women in the skilled trades. Women are encouraged to apply.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Available in accessible formats upon request.