Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers!
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba’s best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
We are seeking candidates interested in training for a career as a Power Electrician.
As a Power Electrician Trainee at Manitoba Hydro you will participate in a four-year apprenticeship program which includes on-the-job training, trade schools and formal classes at Red River College (RRC Winnipeg) that leads to Power Electrician Journey person status. Power Electricians construct, maintain and commission electrical apparatus used in electrical power generation, transmission, distribution and converter systems. While in the program, participants receive rotational training at various locations throughout the province, which may include relocation to Northern Manitoba.
As a Power Electrician trainee you will:
- assist Electrical Technicians to build and maintain electrical apparatus used in electrical power generation, transmission, distribution and converter systems;
- assist with the installation, maintenance and repair of power generators, power converters, power transformers, circuit breakers, disconnects, distribution apparatus, metering and associated auxiliary equipment;
- assist with troubleshooting, making necessary repairs under regular and emergency conditions;
- perform all clearance procedures as per station and safety guidelines.
- be required to work a variety of shift schedules and will be transferred to different work centres within the duration of the term;
Safety is our top priority and we will follow Manitoba Health’s pandemic-related safety and health protocols throughout the recruitment process for this program. This will result in a longer than normal recruitment process. At this time, we expect successful candidates will start in mid or late summer. Anticipated start dates, and timelines for recruitment activities, may be adjusted as required given pandemic-related restrictions.
- High school graduate with a minimum of the following subjects: Mathematics 40S (Applied or Pre-Calculus); Physics 40S; and English 40.
- Possess a two-year Diploma in Electrical, Instrumentation or Electronic Engineering Technology.
In addition, this Training Program requires you to:
- possess a valid Province of Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence; (intermediate or full)
- maintain a level of physical fitness and mental alertness appropriate for the duties you are performing;
- have good physical coordination; manual dexterity and be able to lift heavy objects from a variety of physical positions while working at heights requiring bucket truck or ladder and while working in confined spaces;
- be capable of communicating effectively orally and in writing;
- have good hearing and accurate colour perception;
- have basic computer skills;
- have a mechanical aptitude to satisfy all requirements of the position;
- be willing to acquire an approved set of personal hand tools;
- be willing to relocate to various locations within Manitoba, including Gillam.
All applications must include the following information, attached to your online profile:
- A personal resume and cover letter;
- High school and any post-secondary school transcripts or training certificates.
MANITOBA HYDRO IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND EMPLOYMENT EQUITY
The email address you submit in your application profile will be used as the main form of correspondence throughout the recruitment process. Please monitor your email inbox on a regular basis.
The selection process includes aptitude testing and a one-day Manitoba Hydro sponsored Skills Assessment and Trades Orientation session which includes a panel interview and provides candidates with the opportunity to demonstrate job-related physical assessment will also be conducted. To help you prepare see the Skills Assessment and Trades Orientation Physical Training Guide program.
Selected candidates must provide a current driver’s abstract at that time.
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Defined-benefit pension plan
- Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off, providing for a balanced approach to work, family life and community
Note: You must create an online profile before you can apply for any job postings.
You can follow the instructions in the guide below to create your online profile.
Visit www.hydro.mb.ca/careers to learn more about this position and to apply online. The deadline for applications is March 9, 2021.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Manitoba Hydro is committed to increasing the representation of women in the skilled trades. Women are encouraged to apply.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Available in accessible formats upon request.