Apply by: February 3rd, 2023
We are currently seeking a talented and energetic individual to join our team of Human Resources professionals as a Human Resources Co-Op Student to support our Thompson, Manitoba Operations.
We are currently seeking a Human Resources Co-Op Student to join our Vale Thompson, Manitoba Operations Human Resources Team for the 2023 summer work term (approx. 4 months duration). Start and end dates are flexible based upon the student’s availability.
You will have the opportunity to further your development by providing day-to-day support for various projects and initiatives within the Human Resources Team. You will have a holistic and enriching experience like no other, with opportunities to learn and participate in cultural transformation, talent acquisition, diversity and inclusion, succession planning, leadership development, and so much more! Come join our enthusiastic team of HR professionals who meet regularly to share learnings, solve HR challenges and “Dig Deep” together to provide quality HR service to our clients.
Preference will be given to candidates willing to work and live in our Thompson community, however candidates interested in joining our team to work remotely are also encouraged to apply!
In this position, you will:
- Support our talent acquisition efforts by providing life cycle recruitment support such as interviewing, resume screening, preparing job postings
- Assist recruitment team in planning recruitment initiatives and events
- Support the development of talent and attraction strategies in the North
- Prepare data/analytics to provide insights into trends and patterns for strategic decision-making using Power BI, Excel and other internal systems
- Participate in project work pertaining to Collective Agreement Language and assist with other Labour Relations duties as required
- Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality in handling critical and sensitive information, records, and reports
- Assist with Human Resources policy and program development and implementation
- Provide support for other HR special projects
- Participate in HR team meetings, training, and safety activities
- Currently enrolled as a student in a Human Resources, Labour Relations or Business-related program is preferred
- Strong verbal, written and analytical communication skills
- Expert knowledge of MS Office products
- Proven time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of our HR Team Toba
- Demonstrated interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Possess creative writing skills
How can Vale grow your career?
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities to build your professional network
- Flexible schedule
- Remote work
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves.
Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba, dating back to 1956 when we discovered the Thompson Nickel belt. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines, is located in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
Thompson is known as the “Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.