Location: NCN Family & Community Wellness Center Nelson House
Salary: Starting $44,182.00 Annually.
Closing date: March 1, 2021.
The Family and Community Wellness Centre – Health Division is seeking a self-directed and self-motivated person with knowledge and background in diabetes prevention, with experience in organization, planning, implementation and evaluation. Experience with presenting workshops and public speaking is required. Working on a full-time basis with community members, the Prenatal/Diabetes worker will implement the community work plans for both Canada Prenatal Nutrition Program (CPNP) and the Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative (ADI). The worker will work part-time in CPNP and part-time on the ADI
Key Activities: Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative:
- Helping to prevent diabetes and its complications through various healthy eating and physical activity presentations in the community.
- Facilitate educational sessions for community members on basic diabetes prevention and treatment topics including healthy eating, physical activity, prevention of complications secondary to diabetes and self-blood glucose monitoring.
- Provide “Hands on” healthy cooking sessions for people with/ or risk of diabetes.
- Work in partnership with the community store to promote and ensure ongoing availability of a ‘core selection’ of healthy foods.
- Work in partnership with various community workers including other health program workers, health professionals, school personnel, band office, RCMP officers, child and family services, day cares, Aboriginal Head Start on Reserve.
- Promoting and supporting food security projects and activities in your community such as growing a community garden, hosting healthy food cooking classes, supporting hunting, fishing, food gathering and harvesting in the community.
- Assist with the Diabetes Integration Project (DIP) and Manitoba Retinal Screening Visioning Program.
- Become familiar with “Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy, Guidelines for the child bearing Years” and “Guidelines for Healthy Terms Infants”.
- Facilitate nutrition education sessions for prenatal women on a variety of topics including healthy eating during pregnancy, breastfeeding and age-appropriate introduction of solid foods.
- Provide “ hands on “ healthy cooking sessions for prenatal and postnatal women.
- Work to connect prenatal women with other services required.
- Fulfill reporting requirements of both the ADI and CPNP programs.
- Certified Health Care Aide
- Grade 12
- Experience in the health field
Submit all Applications to:
Anna Nadine Spence
Interim Director of Human Resources
Family & Community Wellness Centre Inc.
Nelson House, MB R0B 1A0