EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY MANITOBA CONSERVATION AND CLIMATE
Advertisement Number: 36213
Position: District Fire Ranger – (FR2)
Location: Nelson House, Manitoba – Northern Region
Length of Employment: Seasonal Departmental position – approximately 18 weeks (Ending August 21, 2020)
Salary: $1448.00 to 1546.40 bi-weekly plus remoteness allowance
Closing Date: 4:00 PM May 8, 2020
*An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months
Under the direction of District Conservation Officers and the Fire Ranger 3, the Fire Ranger will assist with detection, pre-suppression and suppression activities in the Thompson Wildfire Area.
- Ensure that the district fire equipment inventory, vehicles, supplies and caches are accounted for and maintained in serviceable condition to Provincial Standards.
- Provide training and supervision of emergency fire fighters.
- Participate in employee training and developmental programs and will be required to conduct work activities in accordance with Workplace Safety and Health Policies.
- Assist with maintenance and construction projects as assigned, when not engaged in fire suppression
- The procurement of supplies, delivering goods, and inventory management.
- Experience in outdoor work involving manual labour.
- Knowledge of wildfire suppression, wildfire equipment use and maintenance.
- Experience maintaining and servicing camping equipment, hand tools, small motors, or similar outdoor equipment.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of workplace safety and health
- Experience in shipping, receiving and inventory management.
- Experience flying in small fixed-wing aircraft and/or helicopters.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence or equivalent.
- Must maintain current certification in First Aid and CPR.
- Must be physically capable to perform the duties required of the position such as operation of chainsaws, carrying firefighting equipment, and working in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to work weekends, overtime, and be deployed provincially when required.
Applicants are required to submit the following forms/documents with their covering letter and resume to the address below:
- Two (2) References (minimum of one (1) work reference).
- Proof of their driver’s licence. Copies of the licence should be clear, legible, valid and current, and is required in order to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process.
YOUR COVER LETTER, RESUME AND/OR APPLICATION MUST CLEARLY STATE HOW YOU MEET EACH OF THE ABOVE QUALIFICATIONS. INCOMPLETE OR ILLEGIBLE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT RECEIVE CONSIDERATION.
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building and exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self declare in the cover letter, resume or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in the selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4:00 P.M. FRIDAY May 8, 2020
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further considerations will be contacted.
Apply in writing to:
Please insert the advertisement number and position title into the subject line of your e-mail.
Competition # 36213
Thompson District, Manitoba Conservation and Climate
Attn: Mike Sitko
Box 28 – 59 Elizabeth Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 1X4
Fax (204) 677-6856