POSITION: Cultural Support Counsellor, N-gr. 6
POSTED: May 31st, 2021
CLOSING DATE: JUNE 11th, 2021
INTERVIEWS; JUNE 14-23rd, 2021
START DATE: To Be Determined
NNCEA is celebrating 40 years of First Nations Control of its school system & you can be a part of it. NNCEA is seeking to recruit a dynamic person to be our Cultural Support Counsellor at OK, Nursery to grade 6 with occasional calls to the high school and/or head office. The successful candidate will be on the support staff team & provide counselling services (1-1, small group, whole group) to OK students in early years which is the priority and middle years. Your knowledge, expertise in Nihitho traditions/culture and ceremonies (teachings, smudging, sharing circles, ceremonies, etc.) can be shared with NNCEA students and staff who make such requests. Cultural competency of students and staff is important and can be learned by watching, listening and doing on an informal/formal basis. The Cultural Support Counsellor will be accountable to the Resource Program Administrator and OK Principal. NNCEA offers a comparable benefits package and salary is dependent upon credentials. There will be a six-month probationary period.
- Minimum of grade 12 with applicable counselling certification and sufficient life/work experiences with Nihitho cultural and ceremonial ways
- Knowledge of Nihitho/Cree language, traditions/culture, First Nations school systems/organizations in MB
- Knowledge/skills in ICIE or FNCFNE; school system operations; the parents/community, community resources, etc.
- The ability to perform all the job requirements with minimal direction in a fast-paced, unique setting.
- Exceptional skills in: counselling, Nihitho cultural ways, communication (oral & written); organizing; multi-tasking; use of the technology; facilitation; being a team player; etc.
- an updated driver’s license, in good standing, and a personal vehicle
- Able to take direction, model a positive work ethic and maintain confidentiality
Please send a cover letter, updated resume with the names of three references to:
NNCEA @ AMEC, Nelson House, Manitoba
NB: Successful candidate must submit a clear Child Abuse Registry Check and a clear Criminal Record Check OR Vulnerable Sector Check.
ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED
NB: Tentative start date for new staff who have to orientate or isolate is August 16th, 2021 OR by September 1st, 2021 for those who do not have to isolate