April 16, 2021
Variants of Concern Now in Northern Manitoba
- • The UK variant has been identified in Thompson – anyone who was at the Walmart on April 6th or Safeway on April 10th may have been exposed to the UK variant and should contact public health if they develop any cold or flu-like symptoms;
- • Public Health indicated today that it is anticipated the variants of concern will double in Manitoba over the next week;
- • Public Health also indicated that the risk of hospitalization due to the UK variant is 7 times greater than what we saw during the first and second waves of the pandemic – this is leading to a crisis in Ontario where the number of admissions to ICUs has almost tripled in less than two weeks;
- • The variants spread more quickly, are more deadly and require everyone to help reduce the spread
Public Health Measures to Control the Spread of the Variants
- • GET VACCINATED NOW at the Wellness Centre or one of the Thompson locations;
- • Limit your contacts;
- • Do not gather indoors with people who do not live with you;
- • Do not travel;
- • Wear a mask when around anyone who is not part of your household;
- • Wash your hands frequently;
- • Get tested immediately if you have ANY cold or flu symptoms;
- • Only listen to accurate information about the pandemic and vaccination – there is lots of misinformation on social media – we will continue to provide you with information based on the most up to date reliable medical and scientific information.
We are in a race to get enough people vaccinated to protect us from this third wave of the pandemic. We all must be very careful as the current variants of the virus that are circulating that can make people, including younger people, very sick and lead to death.
Everyone, particularly our health team, are working hard to keep our community safe so please do your part. GET VACCINATED AND FOLLOW THE PUBLIC HEALTH MEASURES AT ALL TIMES.