Department: NCN ADMINISTRATION
Position: One (1) COMMUNICATION COORDINATOR
Deadline: Friday, March 20, 2020
Start Date: March 30, 2020
Salary Range: Negotiable
Ref #: NCN 2020-02-18-001
Under the direction and supervision of the NCN Executive Management Team or under the direction and supervision of the Executive Director of Operations, the Communications Officer will be responsible for a wide range of communication functions by providing the following key activities.
Job Duties: Key functions
- When required, assist the NCN Chief and Council and Executive Management Team to arrange press conferences and media workshops as it relates to the updates, changes and announcement related to Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation.
- Draft media releases, advisories and/or responses as requested for review by the Chief and Council and the Executive Management Team/
- Draft a communication strategy for Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation Government (external, internal, social media, and media relations);
- Draft, develop and publish approved social media content across social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, NCN Website etc)
- As requested attend events with Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (i.e. take photos);
- Draft a style guide to ensure we are using consistent language/spelling of various terms across the NCN Government;
- Draft letters as required;
- Prepare information for presentation in a variety of formats and contexts (press releases, prepare draft statements, public information packages, workshops kits, etc.);
- Edit and prepare documents for internal clients (event agendas, briefing notes, annual report submission, advertisements, etc.);
- Maintain Photo Library, information resources, track/inventory of pop-up banners, tablecloths, brochures, and other collateral, and be responsible for sharing them with staff;
- Monitor media related to Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation stories in the news – share stories on social media as appropriate;
- To take responsibility on the content placed in the NCN newsletter and must act as a liaison between Council, EMT, Program Managers with publisher.
- Must be knowledgeable in incorporating translation tools/software for community use.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A degree or diploma in Journalism, Public Relations, Creative Communications or equivalent experience and abilities;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience and excellent journalism, and public relations skills with strong multitasking ability;
- Excellent command of the English language, Cree language is a definite asset;
- Ability to write clearly and creatively within tight deadlines, and adaptable to changing priorities and projects;
- Ability to write in a variety of styles (straight news, promotion, advertising, human interest etc.);
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work co-operatively as a part of an interdisciplinary team of professionals;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Proficient in using Microsoft office -Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
If you are interested, please forward your cover letter, Criminal Records Check and resume to:
Kim Linklater, Executive Director of Human Resources
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
Phone: (204) 484-2604
Cell: (204) 307-2107
Fax: (204) 484-2588