Work Opportunity/Role: Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU) Administrative Assistant
Organization: Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority Inc. (NNCEA)
Department: Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU)
Reporting to: Wm. Elvis Thomas, Director of Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU)
The Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority Inc. (NNCEA) believes that education must provide for the academic, social, emotional, spiritual, physical development and well-being of all students under its responsibility. One of our main objectives is to establish a strong path for our children by increasing and strengthening our language and culture programming. We strive to guide our students on their miskanaw (life journey) by nurturing their identity as an asiniska ithiniwak (Rocky Cree) from nisicawayasi and their ability to speak the nihitho language.
We are dedicated to supporting our students and their families in language revitalization and cultural reclamation. To fulfill this objective, our efforts in recent years have focused on creating nihitho educational resources, implementing a nihitho immersion curriculum and incorporating Indigenous perspectives in all subject areas.
Type of Engagement
One (1) year Term Contract with a 3-month probationary period beginning at the start date stipulated in the contract.
$48,000, paid on a bi-weekly basis.
- The Administrative Assistant is responsible and accountable to the Director of Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU) for providing assigned support services for the various projects undertaken by the Nisichawayasi Nehetho Culture and Education Authority Inc. (NNCEA) Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU};
- Initiates and maintains proposal and program files with the reporting requirements; and prepares the appropriate documents;
- Maintains accurate budget and project deliverable records;
- Arranges travel as requested;
- Must be willing to sign an oath of confidentiality; and
- Other duties as assigned from time-to-time.
Additional Skills/ Qualities
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Be a creative problem solver;
- Ability to work well under pressure and consistently meet deadlines;
- Detail-oriented and dedicated to producing high quality end product;
- Self-motivated and willing to go the extra mile;
- Ability to type 40 words per minute;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
- One year of experience in related industry; and
- Ability to speak nehetho language a definite asset.
Application Deadline: 3:00 pm, Friday May 27, 2022
Applicants must submit their resume with a cover letter either in person or via email to:
Wm. Elvis Thomas
Director of Nihitho Language and Culture Unit (NLCU), Alice Moore Education Centre (AMEC)
Successful applicants must provide satisfactory Criminal/Vulnerable Sector check & Child Abuse Registry Check.