Read the September 2018 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
Chief and Council Inauguration Builds Optimism and Celebrates the NCN Leadership
With spirits high and renewed optimism, Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation celebrated its new council members and re-elected chief on September 6 at the Gilbert McDonald Arena.
“It was a packed house, we really had a great turnout,” says Ron D. Spence, returning council member. “It was a nice mix of traditional and modern ceremony. A great, personal thing for me is that my oldest daughter is a pipe carrier, and she was part of the celebration, so that was very special.”
Singers and drummers created a festive environment and Elders blessed the gathering.
Chief Moody gave thanks to outgoing council members Bonnie Linklater, Shirley Linklater, Joe Moose and Patrick Linklater. They were given framed eagle feather certificates that read, “It is with deep affection and respect that we honour your devotion, guidance and perseverance to advancing our Nehetho Nation. Your years of service and commitment are testimony to the true spirit of our ancestors.”
Everyone enjoyed a traditional feast before swearing-in the newly elected Chief and Council. Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- NCN Smudges Street to Create Safe Spaces in Communities
- Conserve Water Notice Issued in Nelson House
- NCN Family and Community Wellness Centre Works to Improve Child First Initiative at Jordan’s Principle National Conference
- Moody x 2 Video to be Featured at Upcoming Film Festival Awards
- Moose Hunters Need to be Responsible
- Fall Fun with NCN Parks and Rec
- New NCN Animal Rescue Program Making Big Change
- NNOC Great Start to School Year
- OK School Announce Important Changes This School Year
- Help Your Child Succeed in School
PUSIKONISOWINI ACHIMOWIN BUSINESS
- NCN Women’s Shelter Prepares to Open