Read the August/September 2021 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
The Summit of Treaty 5 Sovereign Nations
Last month, a group of NCN Citizens attended the Summit of Treaty 5 Sovereign Nations in Cumberland House, Saskatchewan.
Attendees included a group of about ten Elders, and Councillors Ron Spence, Cheyenne Colombe, Jeremiah Spence, and Willie Moore, who also presented at the Summit.
“There’s a lot of work to be done for Treaty 5. From Ontario and right across to Alberta, the goals are the same, so sharing our knowledge and wisdom and successes is helpful,” says Councillor Ron Spence. “The government isn’t upholding its responsibilities, so the better we come together as a collective, the stronger we are.”
Topics over the three-day event included self-government models, treaty annuities and sharing of wealth, Crown-First Nation coexistence and fiscal relations, Treaty 5 constitution, Onasiwaokamik (Law Lodge), and First Nation ownership of natural resources.
While Spence enjoyed learning about the history of the Cumberland House area, he was most inspired by learning more about the history of the Treaties.
“I realized we need to develop a curriculum of our own about our own history, not the version from when the Europeans came over. I mean our background, our surroundings, our way of life before settlers came,” Spence says. “Students today don’t know what things looked like here in NCN before the flood. They don’t know what our natural beach looked like. It must be difficult for them to feel connected to their surroundings.”
The Summit of Treaty 5 Sovereign Nations is an annual event hosted by a different First Nation every year. Cumberland House Cree Nation is a Swampy Cree First Nation on the eastern border of Saskatchewan, four hours west of The Pas.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
- NCN Hunters Asked to Manage Moose Populations – Please respect the Cow Moose.
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Reminder of School Zones Speed Limits
- NCN Acknowledges Vern Anderson
- NCN Recognizes New Holiday: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- Youth Wellness Gathering a Huge Success
- Honouring NCN at City Centre Mall
- NNCEA School Board Meeting Dates for 2021-22
- Strengthening our Skills – After School Programming
- Message to All NNCEA Parents/Caregivers and NCN Community from NNCEA Director of Education, Thursday, Sept. 2nd, 2021
- NNCEA’s Protocol for School Board Meetings
- Citizen Profile: Blaine Prince
- Helping Our Kids Succeed in School
- Parks and Rec Outdoor Fun
- NCN Traditional Powwow 2021
- NNCEA Student Appreciation Day
- Learn the Basics for ATV Safety
- NCN Youth Join Flames tryouts JR B
- Four NCN Citizens Complete FNSO Training
- Fire Safety Trainees Set to Protect NCN
- Hole-in-One for School Nutrition Program
- Citizen Profile: Hilda Anderson Pyrz
- Citizen Profile: Elder D’Arcy Linklater
- Drug and Fentanyl Warning in NCN