Read the October/November 2020 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
Search and Rescue Efforts Find Body But End in Sadness
On October 19, 2020 Sgt. Flanagan from Leaf Rapids contacted NCN Detachment, Sgt. Jeff Ball to assist with the search and rescue of Gwyneth Gegenfurtner, a missing 19 year old woman. Immediately Chief Marcel Moody, Kim Linklater and Councillor Jackie Walker made necessary arrangements to get a search team together to assist with the search and rescue. With no hesitation, Wilson Moore stepped forward to lead and began coordinating the process at the community level. He was short on some equipment since he last assisted with an OCN project months before. OCN search and rescue is using his equipment to carry on with their search. Wilson spent most of the night rebuilding, gathering all necessary equipment required to help with the search; in addition he was able to get some volunteers to help with the search.
Organizers had a meeting with the NCN Search and Rescue team to identify the number of boats and trucks available, set up a schedule, and identify roles and responsibilities. The experienced crew ordered more equipment and groceries. The first day in Leaf Rapids was spent assessing the area where the clothing of Gwyneth was found; to determine if they would camp out or commute to Leaf Rapids from Nelson House, Manitoba. It was the teams goal to find the young girl within 4 days.
After 3 days and nights of searching on the frigid water, the team was finally able to find her. Peter Flett, Elvis Francois and Mateuo Moose of NCN’s boat crew found Gwyneth’s body on an island close by the fish plant.
Chief and Council would like to express our huge thanks and appreciation to the search and rescue crew of Nelson House, Manitoba for their tireless, hard work and prompt response to assist. Among the team were Wilson Moore, Mervin Bonner, Dennis Anderson, Malcolm Hunter, Murdo Linklater, James Bonner, Ivan Peterson, Malcolm Moore, Thomas Moore, Felix Red Sky Walker, Peter Flett, Myna Spence, Clinton Moore, Mateo Moose, Joshua Moose, Wayne Spence and Elvis Francois.
Acknowledgement and honour go to the heroes of the Search and Rescue Team from Leaf Rapids, Manitoba for their continuous effort in searching and not giving up after the 14 day and night search.
NCN members and staff from the MKO Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Liaison Unit, also worked with the family and community to offer assistance during this difficult time.
The MKO MMIWG Liaison Unit travelled to Leaf Rapids to support the family and provided donations. It is not a good ending, however, the family is able to put closure to the passing of their missing daughter. We offer our sincere condolences to the family of Gwyneth Gegenfurtner.
Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
Chief Moody addresses record Covid-19 numbers in the Province and the continuance of the community lockdown.
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Honouring National Children’s Day
- Safety Comes First on the Ice – Unsafe Ice Warning
- Outdoor Winter Safety Could Save Your Life
- New NCN Water Treatment Plant Being Built
- Prepping Your Home Sweet Home For Winter
- Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation High School (Collegiate) Construction Project Takes Shape
- Joy in Strange Times with the NCN Christmas Cheer Board
- Baby Moody Raises SCID Awareness
- Lest We Forget – Aboriginal Veterans Day and Remembrance Day
- Avoiding Home Fires
- Highway 391 Signs of the Times
- The Power of Pemmican
- Halloween – A Boo-tiful Spooktacular Time
- School Lunch Program Benefits From Donor (Star Francois Madden)
- Beer Vendor in NCN Set to Open
- Generous Donation from Brian Wilson Hartie Helps Many In Times of Grief
- At Home on the Land and Waters
- School Fun Carefully Presses Forward Through Covid-19
- Keeping Spirits Bright
- Holiday Hours for NNCEA
- NNCEA School Board Meeting Dates for 2020-21 (Revised dates)
- NNCEA’s Protocol for School Board Meetings
- News from NNCEA Director for November/December 2020
- Body of Missing Girl Found in Leaf Rapids
- Celebrating Elder’s Birthdays
- Know Your NCN – Nelson House Development Corporation & NCN Women’s Shelter
- Your Path to Wellness – Circle of Care & Medical Transportation
- Reminder of Revised Policy for School Closure Due to Cold Weather