Read the July 2017 issue of Achimowina – NCN’s community, government, business, arts and events news.
NCN Curfew Now in Effect
After a few years of increasing violence, gang activity and public mischief, a Safe Streets curfew has been implemented in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation. All young people must be in private homes, and not on the streets or community property, after 11:00 pm.
Chief Marcel Moody and Council, NCN Justice and NCN Band Constables came to an agreement and put the curfew into effect on Wednesday, June 21st. Recent statistics show that NCN has the second highest number of domestic assaults in Manitoba and in fact, is the 10th highest in Canada. Setting an example for our youth via responsible initiatives like the curfew is expected to help reduce violent crimes and mischief in the community.
“Our ultimate goal is to have a healthy, safe community where we all can thrive,” said Chief Moody. “This curfew is not meant to punish our Citizens, but we are taking action now to make our community safer and better for everyone. This is a step in a positive direction.” Read the Newsletter for the complete story.
OKIMAHKAN OTY’AMIWIN FROM THE CHIEF
Welcoming the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs to NCN for General Assembly
KITITAHWINAOW ACHIMOWIN COMMUNITY
- Special Congrats to Class of 2017 and Graduates
- VOTE NOW – Land Code Voting Process Step-by-Step Guide for Voters
- History Made in NCN – AMC Elects New Grand Chief
- NCN Hosts Successful AMC AGA
- Winning Gold Medal at NAIG – Skyla Russell
- Bluesky Starts as New NCN CEO
- NCN Athletes Compete in Toronto at NAIG
- NCN Hockey Players Travel to Europe
- Top Students Go On Fun Year-end Trip
- School Principal Natalie Tays’ Farewell Message
- The PATH Forward for Our Children’s Education
KAKI PI ISPATHIK AKWA ISI TWAWINAH HISTORY & CULTURE
- The Sundance Returns to NCN – Néso Pisimak Kakisimo Kamihk
- Election History of Nisichawayasihk Chief and Council 1908-2018